This page contains a list of officially recorded changes to Cosmoneer. Prior to the Steam release, changes were noted on the offical website's changelog. Since the Steam release, changes have been recorded via the Steam News feed.
Please note the distinction between Cosmoteer Classic and Cosmoteer Modern. Classic refers to the free-to-download Cosmoteer, whereas Modern refers to the paid Steam release of Cosmoteer.
Cosmoteer (Modern) Updates
November 11th 2023
- Bugfix: Crash when loading multiplayer saves in single-player.
- Bugfix: Crash when starting a PvP multiplayer game if there are any observers or AI players.
November 11th 2023
Cosmoteer patch 0.24.2 is now available! This patch has a handful of bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements.
- All factory munition and resource storages now have roof hatches, allowing flying crew and Resource Collectors to access those storages from outside the ship.
- Ship control groups (F1-F8) will now be saved and restored for all players when loading a multiplayer saved game or resyncing after a desync.
- Resource type filters for each ship are now synchronized between all players in multiplayer and will be properly restored when loading a saved game or resyncing from a desync.
- Reduced mining laser oscillation by 1/3 to account for its recently increased range.
- Increased the search range for new fires to put out after a crew finishes putting out a fire or the part they were on the way to was destroyed. This should make crew less likely to drop fire extinguishers when there are still fires to be put out.
- Weapons will now be willing to fire through asteroids/megaroids when targeting other asteroids/megaroids.
- Stations whose Hyper-Jump Beacons were destroyed will now become jumpable again once you travel far enough from them such that they despawn from the game simulation, at which point they are assumed to repair themselves. (Previously you would have to return to the station for them to become jumpable again.)
- Using "Clear Everything" in Creative Mode will now clear all dead crew and particle effects.
- The four buttons at the bottom of the Battle Helper will now resize themselves if necessary to fit their text.
- You can now press the Spacebar while the game is saving to pause (or unpause) once the save is finished.
- Added a title-screen tip that explains how to change the difficulty level while playing.
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs that could be caused in some situations when a part is salvaged and the ship being salvaged is selected by one or some but not all of the players.
- Bugfix: Point Defenses were unable to shoot down projectiles fired from ships that have since become junk.
- Bugfix: Salvaging a storage pod and then flying far enough away from it would cause the storage pod to unintentionally respawn with all of its resources after returning to it.
- Bugfix: In certain situations, crew could get "stuck" trying to construct wedge armor or structure if it was impossible to start construction on the wedge without splitting the ship.
- Bugfix: Salvaging (without actually deconstructing) structure wedges could cause "temporary" structure tiles to spawn in their place which the ship's crew would then immediately try to deconstruct.
- Bugfix: Ships with Resource Collectors would spawn with crew already manning the Resource Collectors, even though Resource Collectors aren't supposed to be manned until they have a target to collect.
- Bugfix: If a Chaingun with a specific aim direction is copied and then pasted over another Chaingun that had a different specific aim direction, then that Chaingun would display multiple aim locations when selected.
- Bugfix: Copying a Chaingun with a specific aim location, mirroring/flipping it, and then pasting it could cause the aim location of the new Chaingun to be incorrectly mirrored.
- Bugfix: Transferring resources to a friendly ship wouldn't cancel properly if the destination ship was destroyed or removed.
- Bugfix: If the game is saved and reloaded in between a thruster's ship losing command and the thruster shutting down as a result, then upon reloading the saved game the thruster would appear to fire indefinitely but exert no actual force or use any power.
- Bugfix: If the save data for a particular star system is corrupted or unloadable for whatever reason, trying to travel to or load it will no longer crash the game. Instead, the star system will be regenerated from scratch.
- Bugfix: Hovering the mouse cursor over the "NO WORK NEEDED" button would then prevent the construction cost breakdown from being displayed once work is actually needed.
- Modding: All non-grid resource storage components now support optional 'ExternalPickUpLocation' and 'ExternalDeliveryLocation' parameters which will set the location where crew must go when picking up or delivering resources from outside the ship. (These override the existing 'PickUpLocation' and 'DeliveryLocation' parameters when picking up or delivering externally.)
- Modding: Mod changes that would previously cause saved games to fail to load with the error message "Unexpectedly not standing on a part" will now instead simply cause those crew to be ejected into space instead of preventing the save from being loaded.
October 31st 2023
Bugfix: Crash with error message "The specified sink does not belong to this ship", usually caused by ships with Chainguns splitting in two.
October 27th 2023
Cosmoteer patch 0.24.1 is now available! This patch has a bunch of bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements.
- Added 3 new Monolith ships: Broadsword, Conciliator, and Intercessor.
- Added 3 new Fringe ships: Can Opener, Graverobber, and Unclassified Misdemeanor.
- Added 1 new Cabal ship: Luminary.
- A handful of other miscellaneous ship updates.
- Increased Mining Laser range from 100 to 150.
- Ships will now "lock in" their final rotation when they get close enough to their intended destination to automatically switch to strafe mode. This should reduce issues that some ships have when trying to stop at their final destination.
- Updated the Hyper-Coil graphics to better stand out from regular Coils.
- Fires can now spread to all tiles on the Chaingun.
- Fires will now be rendered above the bullets in the Chaingun Magazine.
- The Battle Helper in Creative Mode now shows the total cost and crew for each team with more than one ship.
- Holding the Shift key when clicking Load Game will now bypass the confirmation popup.
- Double-clicking an Airlock now selects all Airlocks on the ship regardless of their rotation.
- Changed the default hotkey for "Launch Mines" from N to Ctrl+N to prevent it from conflicting with the hailing hotkey.
- Changed the "Restrict Shape Mode" hotkey from Ctrl to Slash to prevent it from conflicting with other hotkeys.
- The "Cancel Hyper-Jump" hotkey has been removed by default to prevent it from conflicting with other hotkeys. (It can still be manually added.)
- The Fire Extinguisher tooltip and tutorial now mention that they have limited capacity.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for multiplayer desyncs caused by making in-system hyper-jumps.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for some other random-seeming multiplayer desyncs in Career mode.
- Bugfix: If station (or trade ship) crew ran low on oxygen while carrying resources as part of a trade, this could cause the crew to "steal" those resources and prevent the player from getting paid or given mission credit for those resources.
- Bugfix: Trade ships whose resources had been purchased by the player but not yet delivered or in transit (usually because construction isn't ready to begin yet) were able to fly off before delivering those resources. This could cause construction to fail to complete.
- Bugfix: Extreme lag spikes in Career mode caused by loading nearby NPC ships.
- Bugfix: Penetration damage wasn't being correctly calculated versus certain types of ship parts, resulting in less damage than was intended.
- Bugfix: Mines targeted on junk or asteroids were not detonating in proximity to enemies.
- Bugfix: Exploding ship parts such as reactors wouldn't damage nearby ships if the destruction of that part caused its own ship to become junk.
- Bugfix: When crew construction was disabled, sometimes an insufficient number of resources would get consumed if some of those resources were being held in storages that were being deconstructed.
- Bugfix: Crew and resource assignments could break when copy/pasting parts while rotating or flipping them and the destination part wasn't rotatable or flippable.
- Bugfix: It was possible to enable "I Hate Salvaging" without having "I Hate Crew Construction" enabled by disabling "I Hate Crew Construction" after enabling "I Hate Salvaging".
- Bugfix: In the multiplayer pre-game setup screen, switching game modes could cause observers to appear to become non-observers on non-host computers.
- Bugfix: Hotkey conflicts weren't being properly detected in all cases for part abilities that were shown even when the part is not selected.
- Bugfix: The crew priorities for Storage Bays were being listed under "Storage Bay (4)" even though they applied to all Storage Bays.
- Bugfix: The "Mass" stat for all megaroid parts was being displayed as 1/16 their actual mass.
- Bugfix: The "Mass" stat for the Missile Launcher was incorrectly showing 6.0 tonnes instead of its actual mass of 8.0 tonnes.
- Modding: FlexResourceGrid now supports a 'OverridePriorityKey' parameter.
- Modding: ResourceConsumer, FlexResourceGrid, and PartCrew components now all support a 'OverridePriorityName' parameter. (This was supposed to already be supported for ResourceConsumer and PartCrew but would crash when used.)
- Modding: The PenetrationRectType parameter is now unused and can be safely removed.
October 17th 2023
- Bugfix: Occasional 'ConvertDestinationToExternal' crashes, most often occurring during construction or trading.
- Bugfix: Occasional 'DiscardCarriedResources' crashes.
October 3rd 2023
- Upgrading the game version will no longer automatically disable mods if the new version isn't expected to break mod compatibility, even if the mods in question aren't known to be compatible with the previous version.
- Bugfix: Missile Launchers were missing their crew priorities for supplying mines and nuke parts.
October 2nd 2023
- Bugfix: "Did You Know" tips were being unintentionally shown as in-game tutorials once they had been shown to the player on the title screen.
- Bugfix: Chainguns had a duplicate "Supply Ammo" crew role priority.
September 30th 2023
- Bugfix: It wasn't possible to transfer resources or crew to your allies in co-op.
September 30th 2023
The 0.24.0 update adds the Chaingun, a powerful new projectile weapon for mid-to-large sized ships. While Chainguns are of course the Big New Feature of 0.24.0, there are also plenty of other bug fixes, quality-of-life improvements, and modding features in this update!
- New weapon: The "Chaingun", a powerful rotary cannon that increases its rate of fire the longer it shoots and hides behind a protective shell while not shooting. Additional ammunition magazines can be attached to increase its duration and rate of fire.
- After launching Cosmoteer, a popup with a "Did You Know?" style tip will be displayed on the title screen. These tips let you know about various lesser-known features in Cosmoteer. You can disable these tips if you don't like them from either the popup itself or the Misc settings. You can also view all the tips at any time in the Codex.
- Crew roles now each have a "Hiring Priority" between 1 and 10 that will determine which roles new crew will be assigned to. Crew will be assigned to roles with higher Hiring Priorities before roles with lower Hiring Priorities.
- Crew roles now have an "Auto-Fill From Lower Priority Roles" toggle that, if activated, will automatically fill any empty beds assigned to that role by transferring crew from roles with lower Hiring Priority.
- When transferring crew between ships, crew assigned to roles with the lowest Hiring Priority will now be transferred first.
- Station crew with the lowest role hiring priority will now be preferred when the game chooses which ones should be hireable. This should make it much less likely for the player to hire crew in critical roles from stations.
- New sound effects for picking up and delivering of most resource types.
- When using the "Load Ship (Replace Existing)" feature and checking "Also Load Resource Assignments", the resource limits will now also be loaded.
- Most turreted weapons should now be a bit quicker at automatically picking targets thanks to an improvement in the targeting algorithm.
- In Creative Mode, if crew find themselves carrying resources with nowhere to put them, the resources will now be deleted.
- Disabling crew construction in Career or Creative modes will now cancel all queued construction. This is done to prevent other issues such as being able to switch to free-build mode and then build parts next to not-yet-constructed parts.
- Trade ships that are about to jump away will now reject all incoming hails.
- The F11 feedback window now makes it clearer exactly how your email address will be used (if you choose to provide one).
- Small optimizations to Cosmoteer's multicore task scheduler which may result in small performance gains.
- Added 3 new Monolith ships: Juridical, Negotiator, and Sentry.
- Added 6 new Imperium ships: Cooper Hawk, Hummingbird, Rain Crow, Razorbill, Sharpshinned, and Skein.
- Added 4 new Fringe ships: Crumblerig, Hecatoncheires, Thornlark, Toadvine.
- Updates to all language translations.
- Miscellaneous updates to existing stations and defense platforms.
- Bugfix: Occasional "NotSupportedException" crashes in Career mode.
- Bugfix: Occasional crashes when flying or jumping away from trade stations.
- Bugfix: Random freezes when playing on Linux or Steam Deck with multicore enabled. Multicore was previously disabled by default to prevent these freezes but has now been re-enabled. If playing on Linux or Steam Deck, you should now experience improved performance at the expense of higher CPU usage and lower battery life. Use the launch argument '--cores 1' to disable multicore if desired.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for "The game cannot currently be saved" messages. (Most common when using mods but theoretically possible in vanilla as well.)
- Bugfix: Resources that were pre-purchased from trade ships or stations but not yet picked up wouldn't be refunded if the ship or station made a hyper-jump or was destroyed/removed from the game.
- Bugfix: In creative mode, ships belonging to a different allegiance were erroneously appearing as possible destinations in the crew/resource transfer window.
- Bugfix: Loading a saved game while using mods that the save wasn't using would display "Host Not Using" even though they shouldn't ordinarily cause problems.
- Bugfix: A.I. trade ships weren't jumping away after being attacked as was intended. (They will now attempt to jump away after being attacked for 10-20 seconds.)
- Bugfix: The resource collection cursor had the wrong glow color applied to it. (Literally unplayable.)
- Modding: All buff provider components now support an optional 'BuffMultiplier' parameter that can be hooked to other value-provider components to multiply the buff value by the value provided by that other component.
- Modding: Added a 'Stopwatch' part component that provides a value which increases over time while the Stopwatch is operational.
- Modding: ProgressBar components now support an optional 'LerpRange' parameter that controls the range of input values that map to "empty" and "full" on the progress bar.
- Modding: Hit effect 'DamageType' parameters can now be arbitrary strings. If omitted, then "default" will be used by default, except for ExplosiveDamage which defaults to "explosive". The string "salvage" has special meaning and will be treated as salvage damage.
- Modding: Parts, shields, and bullets can now specify damage resistances versus those arbitrary strings using a new 'DamageResistances' parameter. (ExplosiveDamageResistance is now obsolete but still supported for backwards-compatibility.)
- Modding: CircleCollider and PolygonCollider can now be given 'InitialPenetrationResistance' and 'DamageResistances' that, if specified, will override the values in their part when that specific collider is hit by a weapon.
- Modding: CircleCollider and PolygonCollider now support OperationalToggle.
- Modding: Timer components now support optional 'StartExpired' and 'InvertToggle' parameters.
- Modding: MultiResourceStorage components now support optional 'CycleStorageOnAdd' and 'CycleStorageOnRemove' parameters that, if true, will cause the list of storages to be automatically cycled when adding or removing resources.
- Modding: Added a 'TransformLerp' part component that takes an input value between 0 and 1 and uses that to linearly interpolate between a starting location/rotation and ending location/rotation.
- Modding: Added a 'ValueTween' part component that provides a value which "tweens" over time towards either an 'OffValue' or an 'OnValue' depending on the state of its 'IsOnToggle'.
- Modding: Added a 'TransformMatch' part component that will match its own location and/or rotation to those of another component at a given speed. It also supports a toggle to reset it to the "zero" position, clamping based on circles, rects, and arcs, and acts as a toggle that is "on" when it is matching the desired location/rotation.
- Modding: Added a DirectControlToggle component that is "on" whenever its ship is in direct control mode. It can also be hooked to a specifc weapon and will only be "on" if that weapon is under direct control (bound to a fire input). Optionally it can also only be "on" when that weapon is actually being fired in direct control mode.
- Modding: TurretWeapon now supports an optional 'ResetRotationIfNotAllowed' parameter that, if true, will cause the turret's rotation to set to zero if it is not otherwise allowed to rotate.
- Modding: TurretWeapon now supports an optional 'InstantSearchesAfterTargetLost' parameter that can be use to tell a weapon to quickly do some number of target searches instantly after losing its current target.
- Modding: TurretWeapon now supports an 'AimIncludesEmitterOffset' parameter that, if set to false, will prevent the turret from considering its emitter's location when calculating where it should aim.
- Modding: FixedWeapon now targets using its own location and rotation instead of its emitter. In cases where the emitter is ChainedTo the FixedWeapon with no Location or Rotation offset (or always has the exact same Location and Rotation as the FixedWeapon), then there should be no practical consequence of this change. But in cases where the Location and/or Rotation of the emitter differ greatly from the FixedWeapon, you may see a change or break in targeting behavior depending on the difference.
- Modding: Split ToggleOnMode's 'WantsToFire' into 'WantsAndReadyToFire' (the old behavior and old/new default) and 'WantsToFire' (doesn't check permission or resources).
- Modding: ToggleOnMode now supports a HasTargetExceptShipRelative value.
- Modding: ResourceConverter now supports a 'CheckAnticipatedCapacity' parameter that, if true, will check to see if any resources are being delivered to the destination storage and only convert if there is enough capacity anticipated even after those resources are delivered.
- Modding: Almost all ID strings are now case-insensitive.
- Modding: All proxy components now support an optional 'ProxyToggle' parameter that can be connected to a toggle component which, if toggled off, will disconnect the proxy from its connected component.
- Modding: All proxy components can now define multiple sets of PartCriteria/ComponentID pairs and will "match" the first such component found.
- Modding: All resource storage components (except for flex grids) now support a 'GiveResourceMediaEffects' parameter.
- Modding: Most types of resource storage components now support an optional 'AllowManualReceiveToggle' that, when toggled off, will prevent the player from manually transferring resources to that storage.
- Modding: Setting a string to an empty string ("") will no longer result in it displaying the string key path instead.
- Modding: ResourceSprites components now support an 'AnimationSpeedFactor' parameter.
- Modding: Bullet Sprite and AnimatedSprite components now support a 'CaptureBackBuffer' parameter that, if true, will capture the backbuffer into a texture that can then be used by the sprite's shader.
- Modding: Added a 'GetHitNormal' particle updater/initializer that will copy the hit direction normal of the bullet or beam into a particle variable.
- Modding: Added a 'ParticleRotationFromNormal' particle updater/initializer.
- Modding: Added a 'ParticleAlternatingConstVector2' particle updater/initializer' that sets a Vector2 variable to one of two possible Vector2 values in alternating sequence.
- Modding: BeamEmitter now supports an optional 'Spread' parameter that works just like BulletEmitter's.
- Modding: BeamEmitter now supports a 'BeamMediaEffectsOffset' parameter which causes the beam effects to be offset by the specified [x,y] amount relative to the BeamEmitter's location and rotation.
- Modding: BeamEmitter now supports an optional BeamMediaEffectsLengthOffset parameter.
- Modding: Renamed the ModifiesMultiplayer flag to 'ModifiesGameplay' for clarity. (ModifiesMultiplayer is still supported for backwards compatibility.)
- Modding: Mods that have ModifiesGameplay (or ModifiesMultiplayer) set to false will no longer suggest mods synchronization when loading a saved game with that mod. (Only works for newly-saved games.)
- Modding: Setting ExpandStartRadius to a value greater than or equal to Radius will now cause a crash with error when the explosive effect is triggered. (Previously it would silently get the game stuck in a non-saveable state.)
- Modding: Fixed crash on load that was being caused by certain kinds of modding errors but was hiding the actual underlying error.
- Developer Mode: Multiplayer rec files now contain the list of mods active while playing. Loading a rec file without those mods will now prompt to synchronize mods.
September 19th 2023
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs caused by Resource Collectors.
August 30th 2023
- Bugfix: Clicking "MAKE IT SO" on ships with very large blueprints but no existing physical parts would cause extremely long freezes (potentially minutes, hours, or even days).
- Bugfix: Crash if crew-based construction on a part is completed right as a ship makes a hyper-jump, goes into stasis, or is otherwise removed from the game.
August 25th 2023
Cosmoteer patch 0.23.3 is now available! This patch has a variety of quality-of-life improvements, including the ability to automatically synchronize mods when loading modded saved games or joining modded multiplayer games.
- Saved games now store the mods that were active when the game was saved.
- Trying to load a saved game with mods will now alert the player if they are missing any mods and prompt to automatically subscribe/enable them as necessary. (Only works for save files created as of this patch or later.)
- When trying to join a multiplayer game where the host is using incompatible mods, you will now be given an option to synchronize your mods with the host. (Note that, due to this change, you will not see any modded games from before this patch in the multiplayer lobbies.)
- The saved game dialog will now show when a game was saved with mods enabled. (Only works for save files created as of this patch or later.)
- The Mods Manager now shows the install source, mod ID, and Steam Workshop ID when selecting a mod.
- It is now possible to unsubscribe from mods by right-clicking on them in the Mods Manager.
- Saved games with parts, doors, bullets, ship classes, or doodads from missing mods will now *usually* still be loadable but with those objects missing. Other glitches, including immediate separation of ships with missing parts, may still occur.
- Significantly improved performance when large ships have many structure tiles queued for deconstruction.
- Factories will no longer deliver resources to non-designated storage tiles if no resource limit has been set. If a resource limit has been set in excess of the number of tiles, they will still produce and deliver resources to non-designated tiles up to that limit.
- Right-clicking on the large resource buttons along the bottom of the Resources Management screen will now provide options to eject some or all resources of that type.
- The crew management screen now shows how many crew are assigned to each role.
- The "Trap Mouse Cursor" setting no longer has any effect until the game has fully loaded.
- Added 1 new Monolith ship: Liquidator
- Added 1 new Imperium ship: Chrysaetos
- Added 1 new Cabal ship: Hadar
- Updates to crew roles and priorities for many trade ships and stations to prevent issues when crew are hired by the player or transferred to the station.
- Miscellaneous updates to other existing ships.
- Reduced the steel cost of 1x1 Armor/Structure hybrid tiles from 6 to 5.
- Reduces the steel cost of Armor/Structure hybrid triangle tiles from 4 to 3.
- Bugfix: Crash if an under-construction part is destroyed immediately after its construction is completed.
- Bugfix: Asteroids and (especially) megaroids had very noticeable visual patterns.
- Bugfix: When an asteroid or megaroid split into multiple pieces, the sprites for any of the new pieces would get randomly reset.
- Bugfix: Ion Beams were unable to hurt structure tiles of their own ship when targeting their own ship.
- Bugfix: After a ship split into multiple pieces, thrusters on the new pieces could still appear to be firing without applying any actual force to the ship.
- Bugfix: Removing a crew assignment from a part (or assigning crew that had no assignments to a different part) wouldn't cause any crew operating that part to leave it.
- Modding: Typing into Part Debugger text boxes will no longer trigger normal game inputs.
August 11th 2023
Cosmoteer patch 0.23.2 is now available! This update has a variety of quality-of-life improvements, bug fixes, and modding features.
- Each ship can now have a maximum storage limit set for each type of resource. To do this, either click the little menu button in the Resource Manager or right-click the Gather/Salvage/Mine Resources button. When a limit is set, it will not be possible to collect, trade, transfer, or produce resources above the limit.
- The "Sell Surplus" and "Buy To Capacity" (which has been renamed to "Buy Needed") options now use the resource limits if any have been set.
- Updated the resource management tutorial to mention resource limits.
- Crew will now empty factories into non-designated resource storage tiles and will prefer to fill storages before filling factories.
- Added 2 new Monolith ships: Aegis and Journeyman.
- Added 4 new Imperium ships: Alamgir, Bonaparte, Saker, and Selim.
- Added 2 new Fringe ships: Porca Miseria and Raghdirst.
- Added 2 new Cabal ships: Auriga and Eltanin.
Various updates and fixes to existing ships.
- Improved VFX while crew are constructing ships.
- Translation updates for all languages.
- The missing part warnings are now displayed in the lower-left corner of the ship editor (above the build/paint/crew/resources/comms buttons) instead of the lower-center.
- Crew will now more aggressively deconstruct airlocks as long as they have at least one existing airlock not scheduled for deconstruction.
- When returning to the multiplayer game setup screen after playing a Career mode game, the galaxy seed will now be re-randomized.
- When using the "Restock Resources" feature, if the designated resource type for a storage tile is different than the type of resource it is actually storing, then the stored resources will be changed to the designated type.
- A mining laser or deck cannon that force-targets its own ship will no longer actually be able to hit its own ship.
- Placing a custom marker will now remember the last on-default name used.
- When the Quick Saves tab is selected in the Load Game dialog, the quick-save and quick-load hotkeys will now be displayed.
- Tutorial popups on the HUD are now displayed in red instead of green.
- A sound will now be played when a new tutorial pops up.
- Improved performance when many Resource Collector beams were firing.
- Fixed the spelling of the word "isosceles". (Was literally unplayable.)
- Bugfix: Loading a game that was saved during construction where resources had been pre-purchased from stations (or trade ships) could cause internal game data inconsistencies and lead to crashes and possibly other bugs.
- Bugfix: Resources that dropped due to deconstruction could be automatically assigned to storages that are also queued for deconstruction, resulting in those resources being left outside once the assigned storage is actually deconstructed.
- Bugfix: Resources Collectors could get stuck trying to deliver resources if the destination storage was full. They will now try to deliver to an alternate storage or, if none are available, just give up.
- Bugfix: In some very specific circumstances, crew delivering power or resources from one room to another could get "stuck" oscillating between jobs, walking back-and-forth or spinning in circles.
- Bugfix: Moving a ship to a completely different location on the build grid could cause an "ALL HANDS LOST" if it was the player's only ship and crew construction was enabled.
- Bugfix: Crew wouldn't prioritize building airlocks if the airlocks didn't exist in the ship's blueprints.
- Bugfix: It was impossible to salvage your own ships when playing as "All Players" in Creative Mode.
- Bugfix: Splitting a ship with auto-fired thrusters into more than 2 pieces would result in some of the pieces losing their auto-fire toggle.
- Bugfix: Thrusters would lose their ramp-up after splitting off from their ship.
- Bugfix: Pressing the hotkey for Direct Control Mode while a part or parts are selected but no ship is selected would cause parts of the user interface to get "stuck" until the hotkey is pressed again.
- Modding: Almost all ID strings are now case-insensitive.
- Modding: The game will no longer crash if a string key is missing. Instead the U.I. will show the string key itself.
- Modding: BlendSprite and BlendSpriteGrid now both support a 'GetColorFrom' parameter.
- Modding: Random part sprites and UV rotations are now chosen deterministically based on the sprite's location.
- Modding: ContinuousEffects components now support a 'GetColorFrom' parameter that is compatible with most visual effects.
- Modding: All part Graphics and Sprite components now support a 'UseConstructionProgressAsDamage' paramater that, if set to true, will use the part's construction completion percentage (instead of health) for determining which damage level sprite to display.
- Modding: Parts now support 'ConstructionProgressMediaEffects' and 'ConstructionProgressMediaEffectsTimeout' analogous to SalvageProgressMediaEffects and SalvageProgressMediaEffectsTimeout.
- Modding: ResourceConverter now supports a 'CheckResourceLimits' parameter that, if true, will cause the ResourceConverter to not convert if the number of resources on the ship is at the resource limit specified by the player.
July 28th 2023
- Bugfix: Crash in some circumstances when loading blueprints into an existing ship with under-construction parts.
- Bugfix: Stations could sometimes "steal" resources from the player when helping with the player's ship construction.
July 21st 2023
Cosmoteer patch 0.23.1 is now available! This update fixes bugs, improves quality-of-life, and improves the non-English language translations.
- Translation updates for all supported languages, including a complete re-translation of Simplified Chinese.
- When exiting a ship, crew will now use the airlock closest to their current location instead of the airlock closest to their destination.
- Ship mirror settings are now remembered per-ship.
- Copy/pasting parts or loading blueprints from a saved ship design will now copy/load all part settings, not just those that are modifiable in the ship designer.
- When the camera is rotated, a red "North" arrow will now be shown on the minimap. Clicking this arrow will reset the camera rotation.
- Added a confirmation popup when exiting the game from the title screen.
- When plotting an in-system FTL jump, the camera will now only zoom out as far as needed to show the possible jump destinations.
- Doubled the speed at which Resource Collectors can move resources.
- Crew will no longer leave their ship to pickup resources, salvage, construct, or repair if their ship is preparing for a hyper-jump.
- The missing parts warning can now be disabled from the ship editor hamburger menu, in addition to the settings dialog.
- New VFX for Ion Prism destruction.
- The "No existing airlocks" warning will no longer be shown if the ship does not have any crew.
- The Railgun Launcher and Accelerator tooltips now mention that crew can't walk from one side to the other.
- Added three new Cabal ships: Callisto, Lyra, and Phaethon.
- Added one new Fringe ship: Axlerod.
- Miscellaneous updates to other existing ships and stations.
- Tweaked the order of the armor and structure tiles so that "tri" pieces are sorted after wedges.
- Roof lights no longer show crew speed in their stats.
- Bugfix: NPC stations and ships could "steal" floating resources from the player to repair themselves. This most commonly happened during construction of the player's ships while resources are temporarily floating outside.
- Bugfix: Reconstructing Ion Beam Prisms using crew construction could cause them to forget their target prisms.
- Bugfix: Area-of-effect weapons that hit the player's own ships were unintentionally damaging neutral ships/stations, which could cause the player to become wanted.
- Bugfix: Resource Collectors that grab only a partial bundle of resources could cause the remaining resources to be left outside after construction is finished.
- Bugfix: When multiple ships make simultaneous in-system FTL jumps, one ship jumping could cancel another ship's jump.
- Bugfix: Radar blips for player ships with only blueprints could still "see" into the fog of war, extending the player's sight range for free.
- Bugfix: Restocking a ship's resources in Creative Mode (or Imagineer difficulty in Career) wasn't accounting for any in-transit deliveries.
- Bugfix: It was impossible to transfer resources to your own ship if the receiving ship didn't have any crew.
- Bugfix: Mining Lasers set to "fire at target" mode would not fire at any parts or asteroid tiles marked for salvage/mining.
- Bugfix: Railgun disconnection icons were being shown very dark when in blueprint mode. (They are no longer shown at all in blueprint mode.)
- Bugfix: Resource collection beams graphics could sometimes render beyond their start and end points.
- Bugfix: Huge Thrusters had very slightly asymmetrical center of mass which could cause perfectly symmetrical ship designs to not fly straight.
- Bugfix: Crash when typing certain non-English characters.
- Modding: The part debugger can now be opened by pressing Shift+Tilde+P.
July 17th 2023
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs caused by Resource Collectors.
- Bugfix: Crash in multiplayer if the game tries to auto-save while loading a saved game.
July 14th 2023
- Bugfix: Crash when attempting to target tractor beams on empty ship dots. (It is no longer possible to target anything on empty ship dots.)
- Bugfix: Crash when a ship's last part is destroyed while a tractor beam is targeting the whole ship.
July 4th 2023
- Bugfix: Crashes under certain conditions when canceling ship construction.
- Modding: Fixed a crash that can happen if a part's resource cost doesn't fully include the resources of any underlying parts. (Note that this is still not recommended and is likely to cause various other issues such as incorrect ship construction cost calculations.)
June 29th 2023
- Bugfix: Crash when trying to build a new ship from scratch in Career mode with enemies nearby and "I Hate Crew Construction" enabled.
- Bugfix: Error when loading some saved games where ship parts have been damaged.
- Bugfix: The U.I. for the "When Enemy Spotted" setting wasn't being properly shown and hidden when the "Show Blips For Off-Screen Ships" setting was toggled.
June 28th 2023
- The "No existing airlocks" warning will now only be shown when crew-construction is enabled. (This is different from the "Missing Airlock" warning, which will still be shown.)
- Removed the ammo production bar from the ship editor because it was confusing and not very useful.
- U.I. scaling for new players now defaults the the level one less than the maximum based on the player's screen size.
- Bugfix: Crash in Domination mode if a ship is destroyed while it is open in the ship editor.
- Bugfix: Freezes caused by distant trade ships delivering resources to under-construction space stations when one or more to-be-constructed parts is blocked by debris.
- Bugfix: Crashes, desyncs, and possibly other bugs caused by multithreading issues.
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs caused by parts being destroyed when they are under construction or repairs.
- Bugfix: Resource Collectors weren't able to deliver floating resources to under-construction parts.
- Bugfix: Part prices and blueprint/repair costs weren't being displayed in Creative Mode after loading some pre-0.23.0 save files.
- Bugfix: It was not possible to repair parts that you hadn't purchased the blueprints for. This was intended to be possible.
- Bugfix: Attacking a ship in the fog of war and giving it an angle of attack would cause the angle to be rotated by 180 degrees.
- Bugfix: It was unintentionally possible to restock a ship's resources in Domination mode even if the ship wasn't within the spawn area.
June 24th 2023
- Bugfix: Crashes in Career mode during ship construction caused by purchasing resources from stations or trade ships.
June 24th 2023
- Bugfix: Crash in Career mode related to approaching damaged NPC ships.
- Bugfix: Playing on "Civilian (Invulnerable)" difficulty wasn't actually making your ships invulnerable.
- Bugfix: It was impossible to deconstruct your own ship when playing on "Civilian (Invulnerable)" difficulty.
- Bugfix: in Domination mode, construction and repairs weren't being allowed as intended outside the spawn area.
- Bugfix: Attempting to cancel the post-construction retrieval of any leftover resources wouldn't work because the retrievals were being automatically re-queued.
June 24th 2023
- Bugfix: Crashes and other bugs caused by structure tiles being destroyed.
June 23rd 2023
At long last, the much-anticipated "Crew Construction" update is complete and ready to be played by all! Thanks so much to all the players who tested all the preview and release candidate builds!
This update adds a major new game mechanic (crew-based construction & repairs) and a very useful new ship part (the Resource Collector). There are also an assortment of bug fixes, quality-of-life improvements, balance tweaks, and modding features.
- Crew can now perform construction and repairs instead of those happening instantly. Any changes made to the ship in the ship designer will prompt its crew (and the crew of any nearby stations) to deliver any required resources to the construction site and then build or repair. This is an optional new feature.
- This feature defaults to on for new Career games but can be turned off by enabling the "I Hate Crew Construction" option.
- This feature defaults to off for existing Career games but can be turned on by disabling the above option.
- This feature defaults to off for Creative Mode but can be turned on by disabling the "Free Build Mode" option in the Creative Mode hamburger menu. (Asteroids always use Free Build Mode.)
- Added a new "Resource Collector" ship part. This is a 2x2 room that has four small tractor beams on top. Instead of pulling in ships, these beams will automatically pull in any floating resources marked for collection and deliver them to any storages on the ship that have exterior access hatches. Each collector beam is individually crewed.
- All PvP multiplayer modes now allow ships to be modified during combat if they have the necessary resources, in which case their crews will exit the ship to make the modifications. This is enabled in all official rulesets but can be disabled by the host.
- All PvP multiplayer modes now have a "Resource Loot Drops" option that will cause ships to drop resource nuggets when their parts are destroyed. This is disabled in all official rulesets but can be enabled by the host.
- Roof weapons can now shoot over friendly ships in addition to their own ship.
- Doubled Flak Battery turret rotation speed.
- Weapons will no longer ever target enemy crew.
- All factories that produce or consume ship construction materials now have top hatches from which crew can deliver materials or access them for construction.
- In Domination mode, ships that are below the minimum ship value can no longer capture control points.
- Added a warning in the ship editor that is shown if the ship is missing any vital parts such as airlocks, command rooms, reactors, crew quarters, or fire extinguishers. This warning can be disabled in the settings.
- Marking a part for repair will now allow crew to exit the ship and put out any fires in it from the outside.
- When marking floating resource nuggets for collection, they will now usually be first stored in storage bays with exterior hatches before being moved to whatever weapon or part wants those resources.
- Stations and trade ships will now automatically repair themselves using any available resources.
- Removed the sulfur requirement to build explosive charges and increased the coils used from 4 to 6. (The total credit cost of explosive charges remains unchanged.)
- Using the "Save Attack Defaults" option will now save the angle of attack as well as the distance and rotation.
- When loading blueprints into an existing ship, there is now an option to load the flight direction and attack defaults.
- When transferring resources between your own ships, there are now "restock" options for both the left and right ships, similar to the trade screen.
- The title screen now has a "CONTINUE" button that can be clicked to load the most recent save file. (This is identical to the existing Ctrl+L hotkey. If there are no saves yet then the button will not be shown.)
- Updated the ship construction and repair tutorials with info about crew leaving the ship to perform the tasks.
- Removed the "Automatically Hire Crew" setting as this was mostly leftover from the Classic versions in which crew was purchased instantly. (The game now always behaves as if this setting were enabled, which was the default.)
- The "Share Team Credits" will no longer be displayed in free-for-all games.
A handful of updated sound effects, including thruster rumble, airlock enter/exit, and shield hit.
- New and updated ships:
- Added 4 new Monolith combat ships: Contender, Knave, Quad, and Ternion
- Added 1 new Monolith trade ship: Atlas Freighter
- Added another Minor Monolith Arms Depot.
- Added 14 new Cabal combat ships: Aludra, Bellatrix, Canopus, Cepheus, Dschubba, Flicker Flare, Helioblade, Menkent, Rastaban, Sainted Pyre, Sol Calidus, Starblessed Vow, Suhail, and Vela
- Added 1 new Imperium combat ship: Torgos
- Added 2 new Imperium trade ships: Guillemot and Murrelet
- Added 2 new Fringe combat ships: Crankshaft and Tax Evader
- the Renegade has been renamed to Recusant.
- Various updates to other existing ships.
- Bugfix: Hailing friendly ships could sometimes open the dialog with the incorrect ship on the right side.
- Bugfix: In PvP multiplayer, the ship icons in the lower-left corner were using player colors instead of friend-or-foe colors.
- Bugfix: In the crew management screen, hovering the mouse cursor over a crew who was delivering to a Missile & Mine Launcher would show the text '&' instead of '&'.
- Modding: Added a 'BlendSpriteGrid' part component that is essentially a combination of BlendSprite and SpriteGrid.
- Modding: Added a base_part_terran_structure.rules file that should be used instead of base_part_terran.rules for any modded structure parts. (It uses different construction graphics/vfx than regular parts.)
- Modding: BlendSprite components now support an OperationalToggle.
- Modding: Blend sprites now support 'AlwaysBlendWithSelf' to allow blending with its own part even if it doesn't match the BlendsWithCategories.
- Modding: All blend sprites now support RandomDamageLevels.
- Modding: CreatePartWhenDestroyed and CreatePartPerTileWhenDestroyed have been renamed to UnderlyingPart and UnderlyingPartPerTile, but the old names are still supported for backwards-compatibility.
- Modding: Added a new 'CollectNuggets' target type for TurretWeapon that will cause the weapon to aim and shoot at floating resources that are marked for collection.
- Modding: Added a CollectNugget hit effect that can be used to draw in floating resource nuggets that have been marked for collection.
- Modding: TurretWeapon now supports a 'PreventOverlappingTargets' parameter that if set to true will prevent it from (in most cases) picking the same target as another TurretWeapon that also has PreventOverlappingTargets set to true.
- Modding: TurretWeapon now supports an 'AllowRotationToggle' that can be hooked to any toggle component to determine whether the turret is allowed to rotate.
- Modding: TurretWeapon and FixedWeapon now support a 'ToggleOnMode' parameter that can be used to control when the component is considered "on" when used as a toggle. The valid options are 'WantsToFire' (the default, which is identical to the existing behavior where the component is only "on" when it is actively firing) and 'HasTarget' (the component is "on" when it has a target even if it is not actively trying to fire at the target).
- Modding: 'SourceShipLowCollisions' and 'SourceShipHighCollisions' have been renamed to 'FriendlyShipLowCollisions' and 'FriendlyShipHighCollisions' and will now also prevent the bullet/beam from colliding with friendly ships, not just their own ship. The old names are still supported for backwards-compatibility but have the new behavior.
- Modding: Added 'NonFriendlyShipLowCollisions' and 'NonFriendlyShipHighCollisions' to SimpleHit, PenetratingHit, and BeamEmitter components.
- Modding: 'IgnoreSourceShipLowLOSChecks' and 'IgnoreSourceShipHighLOSChecks' have been renamed to 'IgnoreFriendlyShipLowLOSChecks' and 'IgnoreFriendlyShipHighLOSChecks' and will now also prevent line of sight from being blocked by friendly ships, not just their own ship. The old names are still supported for backwards-compatibility but have the new behavior.
- Modding: The maximum size of the crew and space background sprite atlases is no longer limited to 2048x2048 and is now limited to the maximum texture size supported by the player's GPU. This is typically 16384x16384 on modern GPUs but may be lower on older GPUs.
June 9th 2023
- Bugfix: In some circumstances the "Transfer Crew/Resources" option could be unavailable even if the player had two or more ships within transfer distance to each other. (This had broken in 0.22.1d)
June 5th 2023
- Bugfix: Crash when trying to transfer crew or resources and there aren't any ships close enough or a ship's allegiance changes to a non-controlled allegiance while the transfer window is open.
May 30th 2023
- Bugfix: The game would indefinitely freeze and have to be force-closed if any player disconnects during the "sending data" phase when either starting/loading a game or resyncing after a desync.
- Bugfix: Crash when starting or loading most new/existing games on very old GPUs that require power-of-2 textures.
- Bugfix: Crash if a multiplayer Elimination game ends while a ship is in hyperspace.
- Bugfix: In some cirumstances, a ship making a hyper-jump in multiplayer Elimination could cause its team to suddenly lose the match.
- Added a couple missing ships from the May 2023 design contest.
May 20th 2023
Fixed a crash when switching away from the resource trade tab while it is still loading.
May 19th 2023
Cosmoteer patch 0.22.1 is now available! This is a small bug-fix and quality-of-life update. (Work on the upcoming "crew construction" and Chaingun features is still progressing steadily.)
- You can now hail your own or ally ships to transfer crew and resources.
- Ally ships are now displayed as a blueish color. This can be changed in the accessibility settings.
- Flak Battery firing arc increased from 40 to 50 degrees.
- Flak Battery damage increased from 1800 to 2250.
- Ship Updates:
- Added 7 new Monolith combat ships: Impaler, Iota, Magistrate, Obviator, Skypiercer, Spotlight, and Smasher.
- Added 3 new Imperium ships: Elanus, Milvus, and Neophron.
- Added 2 new Fringe ships: Retrograde and Staccato.
- Added 5 new Monolith trade ships: Bulk Hauler, Factotum, Minor Hauler, Porter, and Workhorse.
- Added a new Monolith small trade station.
- Added the winning ships from the May 2023 ship design contest. These are available to spawn in Creative Mode but will not spawn as A.I. ships in Career mode.
- Updates to various other ships and stations.
- Asteroids are now given names to indicate their size and type. (Only applies to newly-generated asteroids.)
- When placing a new custom marker on top of an existing ship or asteroid, the name will now default to the name of the ship/asteroid.
- New Hyperdrive Beacon audio.
- Pressing the "Hire Max" button will now hire as many crew as possible even if not all of them have door access to their beds. (Previously no crew would be hired in this situation.)
- Bugfix: The door button in the ship editor wasn't selectable if the player didn't have enough resources.
- Bugfix: Megaroid 1x1 and 1x2 wedge parts had much less health than intended.
- Bugfix: Discovered but undefeated pirate bases were preventing the auto-slowdown from functioning.
- Bugfix: The ship library was erroneously over-calculating the cost of the resources stored in each Flak Battery by 160 credits.
- Bugfix: Muting other players wasn't working in-gameplay, in the pre-game setup screen, or in the LAN lobby.
- Modding: The 'GetColorFrom' parameter of part 'Sprite' components should now function properly.
April 18th 2023
- Bugfix: If a multiplayer game went out-of-sync with 3 or more players, then resyncing would get stuck at 0%.
- Bugfix: Crash caused by downloading ships from the Steam Workshop.
- Bugfix: The tooltip for the "Restock all resources" option was showing a malformed hotkey.
New audio for the Hyperdrive Beacon that should be less irritating.
April 14th 2023
Cosmoteer update 0.22.0 is now available! This update adds the "Hyperdrive Beacon".
The Hyperdrive Beacon is a new ship part that works in conjunction with other ships' Hyperdrives. Any ship with a Hyperdrive can jump to any (friendly) ship with a Hyperdrive Beacon. In Career mode, this means that you can jump not only to neutral stations and jump gates, but also to any of your own ships on which you have constructed a Hyperdrive Beacon. And in PVP multiplayer, this opens up new tactics and strategies for multi-ship fleets, allowing you to jump around the battlefield to evade and flank enemies.
- Added a "Hyperdrive Beacon" ship part that can be built by the player. Any ship with a Hyperdrive can now jump to any friendly ship with a Hyperdrive Beacon, not just neutral stations and jump gates. These beacons are also usable in PvP multiplayer, giving Hyperdrives a tactical combat use and allowing for advanced combat tactics.
- Ships will no longer rotate to face their destination when making an hyper-jump.
- Added a "Zoom Out When Hyper-Jumping" camera setting that, if disabled, will prevent the camera from automatically zooming out when plotting a hyper-jump within the local star system. (Hold the Shift to invert the behavior of this setting.)
- Built-in ship updates:
- All built-in trade station and Hyper-Jump Beacon designs have been updated to have Hyperdrive Beacon parts. If the Hyperdrive Beacon is destroyed, it will no longer be possible to jump to the station. (Hyper-Jump Relays do not have Hyperdrive Beacons but can still be jumped to.)
- Added two new Monolith ships: Shestopyor and Silencer.
- Added five new Imperium ships: Atropos, Crane, Fantail, Jackdaw, and Lancea Libertatis.
- Added two new Fringe ships: Backup, Hydra
- Miscellaneous updates to existing ships.
- Sensor Arrays will no longer function when the ship doesn't have enough command points. (This is also true for Hyperdrive Beacons.)
- Career mode saved games will now display the player's current money, fame, and star system danger level.
- The Ring of Death now appears to shrink more smoothly.
- The Fire Extinguisher is now shown in the Utilities tab in addition to the Defenses tab.
- Roof lights are no longer flammable.
- Added a "Restock Resources" button to the hamburger menu in the resource management U.I. when playing in Creative mode or Imagineer difficulty in Career mode.
- The "Restock Resources" hotkey now works in Domination mode.
- When loading blueprints into an existing ship design, there is now an "Also Load Name, Author, and Description" option.
- The "Also Load" options when loading blueprints into an existing ship design will now be remembered the next time blueprints are loaded.
- Bugfix: Loading large save files in multiplayer could cause the host's framerate to drop very low and slow down the sending of the file.
- Bugfix: Fire VFX weren't rendering if the Fancy Lights setting was disabled but Fancy VFX was enabled.
- Bugfix: In the crew editor, hovering the mouse cursor over crew operating missile launchers would show the text "Operating Missile & Mine Launcher" instead of "Operating Missile & Mine Launcher".
- Modding: Part editor groups can now be given a 'SortOrder' parameter which will determine where the group appears relative to the other groups. (Groups without a sort order will appear after those with a sort order.)
- Modding: Added a 'RoofOpacity' part component that can be used to provide the current roof opacity value (between 0 and 1) to other components, such as to hide media effects when the roof is disabled. It has optional InputRange and OutputRange parameters that allow the roof opacity to be remapped to different ranges of values. (Only use this component for rendering! Using it to affect any gameplay logic will cause multiplayer desyncs.)
- Modding: Particle effects now support an optional 'IsSimpleLight' parameter that, if true, will prevent the particles from rendering if the Fancy Lights setting is enabled.
- Modding: Fixed crash when trying to play a wav file that uses 3 bytes per sample.
April 7th 2023
- Bugfix: The game could get stuck at a high percentage when loading a saved game from within a game in multiplayer.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for multiplayer disconnections when starting or loading saved games.
April 6th 2023
- Bugfix: Desyncs caused by projectiles hitting shields while penetrating through ships. (Most common with railguns.)
April 4th 2023
This patch fixes a major memory leak that was introduced in 0.21.3.
March 31st 2023
Cosmoteer update 0.21.3 is now available! This update has a bunch of miscellaneous quality-of-life improvements and bug fixes. Enjoy!
(For those of you hungry for new features, rest assured! A new "Hyperdrive Beacon" ship part is nearing completion and *should* hopefully be in the next update two weeks from today. You can check out a preview of it on the discord. I am also working on the "crew do ship construction and repairs" feature, for which I am hoping to be able to release a test/preview build within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your continued patience and support!)
- In Career mode, it is now possible to switch your view to any star system in which you have ships by opening the galaxy map and clicking on the star system. (Star systems in which you have ships will have a blue rocket icon.) In multiplayer, this will transfer the view of *all* players and thus requires a unanimous vote.
- Losing all your ships in Career mode will no longer trigger the "ALL HANDS LOST" message if you still have ships in other star systems.
- Updated visuals for fire VFX and exterior icons.
- New and updated built-in ships:
- Added two new Monolith ships: Gavel and Sledgehammer.
- Added two new Fringe ships: Pinion and Splinetooth.
- Miscellaneous updates to other existing built-in ships.
- Lobbies are now separated into "Co-op" and "PvP" categories. You can only host Career and Creative mode games in Co-op lobbies, and you can only host Elimination, Arena, and Domination games in PvP lobbies.
- The name used for you in multiplayer can now be customized in the Miscellaneous settings tab. By default your Steam name will be used.
- Crew can now enter airlocks at higher speeds, which makes them much better at entering when ships are moving.
- Crew now don't slow down quite as much when picking up floating resources, making them just a bit faster at gathering.
- Resources thrown out airlocks now have a little bit of random velocity variation.
- You can now double-click missions to accept and redeem them.
- Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+E are now default hotkeys for decreasing and increasing the game speed. (Page down and page up still work too.)
- Added a "Lock Camera To Ship" setting for Direct Control Mode that, if disabled, will allow you to control the camera normally while in Direct Control Mode (except you can't use keys to control the camera). Disabled is the new default behavior. Enabling will revert to the old behavior.
- Reduced the size of the red eye focus icon when attacking.
- Crew O2 warning icons are no longer clickable and thus will no longer block clicks to anything underneath.
- In Creative Mode, you can now press Ctrl+Shift+V as a shortcut for restocking all resources.
- When starting a multiplayer game (or resyncing after a desync), a percentage will now be shown to indicate progress sending the game data.
- Added a new paint decal (plain68).
- Bugfix: When a player left a multiplayer Career game, all their ships would become enemies with all neutral ships.
- Bugfix: Railgun accuracy had unintentionally been greatly reduced.
- Bugfix: Rare crash when jumping to a star system.
- Bugfix: Very rare AI-related crash.
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs caused by A.I. ships.
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs caused by Tractor Beams.
- Bugfix: Copy/pasting resource storage rooms wasn't properly adding their resource type designations to the undo history.
- Bugfix: It was impossible without zooming in to jump to hyper-jump beacons within sight of the player's other ships if ship blips were turned off.
- Bugfix: When using the "FPS Follows Cursor" framerate display option, the FPS was being rendered farther from the cursor than was intended.
- Modding: Almost any sound effect can now play a sound from a random list by using the syntax 'RandomSounds = ["sound1.wav", sound2.wav"]'.
- Modding: Almost all sound effects can now be given a fixed or random start time measured in seconds from the beginning of the sound file. Use the syntax 'Start = 1.0' or 'Start = [1.0, 2.0]' depending on whether you want a fixed start time or random range.
- Modding: In-game sound effects with a MaxConcurrent set can now be limited to a maximum per-ship instead of a global maximum by setting 'ConcurrencyMode = PerShip'. ('ConcurrencyMode = Global' is the default.)
March 19th 2023
- Bugfix: Crash when forfeiting a PvP multiplayer battle with the view zoomed out with ship colors set to "Random Per Player".
- Bugfix: Crash for a very small number of players when launching the app.
- Bugfix: Crash caused by being subscribed to Steam Workshop ships.
March 17th 2023
Cosmoteer update 0.21.2 is now available! This update has a bunch of miscellaneous quality-of-life improvements, balance changes, and bug fixes. Enjoy!
- Railgun balance changes:
- Increased Loader mass from 12 to 24.
- Increased Accelerator and Launcher mass from 24 to 36.
- Mine balance changes:
- Halved iron/ammo cost to manufacture mines.
- Increased health from 800 to 3200.
- Increased the number of mine parts that can fit in a tile stack from 4 to 8.
- E.M.P. Missile balance changes:
- Increased E.M.P. missile range from 600 to 700.
- Various new and updated built-in ships:
- 5 new Monolith ships: Accoster, Ambuscader, Bombardier, Quickdraw, and Roughhouser.
- 4 new Cabal ships: Astraeus, Aurelian, Ejecta, and Eos.
- 8 new Imperium ships: Austral, Avicida, Black Knight, Elanine, Hercinia, Longspur, Ninox, and Skirath.
- 8 new Fringe ships: Bigfoot, Chimney Slug, Clockwork, Junk Carver, Nutcracker, Sprocket, Streamliner, and Umbrage.
- 1 new Medium Imperium Trade Station.
- Miscellaneous updates to other existing built-in ships.
- Ships that are set to "junk" can no longer be controlled, which the U.I. now makes clear with a red icon on the HUD similar to the icon shown when the ship doesn't have enough command points.
- Delivery missions will no longer be shown if they don't have enough space to hold the requested resources.
- Mining lasers will no longer shoot at parts marked for salvaging when set to Hold Fire.
- Collateral damage from area-of-effect weapons will no longer damage neutral ships/stations. This should prevent accidentally damaging stations while trying to rescue them.
- Tweaked collision avoidance so that ships will be less likely to interfere with each other when flying around suns.
- Changed the default hotkey for toggling the "Toggle Auto Face Cursor" direct control mode option from Ctrl+F to Ctrl+Shift+F to reduce accidental presses.
- Ships owned by player can now be abandoned even if there are no crew on the ship.
- Added settings to turn off the flying crew and resource pick-up dotted lines.
- Using the "Load Ship (Replace Existing)" option in the ship editor will now automatically update the ship's flight direction to match the loaded ship.
- Increased the default number of auto-save, quick-save, and lost ship files from 10 to 25. (Only applies to new players.)
- Replaced the clock icon (shown next to a player's name in multiplayer when they are slowing the game down for everyone else) with a turtle icon.
- Bugfix: Crash in some very specific situations when transferring crew to a junked ship.
- Bugfix: Rare crash when jumping to a new star system.
- Bugfix: Occasional crashes almost immediately when a multiplayer game desyncs.
- Bugfix: After a multiplayer desync, any observers would become like "Player 1" but unable to actually control anything.
- Bugfix: On occasion, more crew than necessary could be assigned to deliver batteries.
- Bugfix: Ion Beam Prisms were very slow to change targets after destroying their current target.
- Bugfix: If a player gets disconnected from a multiplayer game while making an in-system hyper-jump, the jumping ship(s) would disappear until another player travels to near where it jumped to.
- Bugfix: Copying, rotating, and pasting groups of parts could break resource and crew assignments when done between non-rotatable parts.
- Bugfix: The "Break Formation To Attack" setting was not functioning at all.
- Bugfix: Missions that were redeemable at any trade station in a star system would also erroneously show star icons on faction bases.
- Bugfix: Typing multiplayer chat messages longer than the text box would cause the text to be offset the next time a chat message was typed.
March 6th 2023
- Increased the default number of auto-save, quick-save, and lost ship files from 10 to 25.
- Bugfix: Crash in some very specific situations when transferring crew to a junked ship.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for multiplayer desyncs caused by Railguns.
March 4th 2023
Yesterday's 0.21.1 patch had a bug that would occasionally cause crashes during gameplay. This update should fix that bug.
March 3rd 2023
Cosmoteer update 0.21.1 is now available! This update should significantly improve game performance for many players, especially with late-game saves that have a lot of "junk" floating around. Plus it's got a bunch of other fixes and quality-of-life improvements. Here's the full list:
- Greatly improved performance when there are a lot of "junk" ships, such as with many late-game saves.
- Upgraded to Microsoft .NET 7, which may further slightly improve overall performance. (Please let me know if you have any crashes or other issues playing Cosmoteer, especially if you are using Windows 7 or 8.)
- When loading blueprints from a saved ship design into the ship editor, you will now be given options to also load that ship's paint design, crew roles, crew assignments, and/or resource assignments. (When pasting instead of replacing, the paint and role options will not be available.)
- The game will no longer slow down automatically when an enemy is detected if there are already enemies within detection range.
- Added options to turn off the crew and resource assignment arrows for non-selected crew and resource rooms. These options are in the dropdown menu in both the crew and resource management screens.
- It is now possible to salvage your own ships by holding the Ctrl key.
- You must now hold Ctrl to delete damaged parts because they do not refund full resources.
- Multiplayer lobbies will now be named using the format "A-123" instead of a randomly-generated station name.
- The light size toggle for the new exterior lights is now changeable in the ship editor just like the color already is.
- If the player's ship is too far from a station to hire crew, the user interface for doing so will be disabled and a message will be shown to explain.
- Damage scaling based on difficulty level no longer applies to damage (or salvage) done to junk.
- When playing on Imagineer economic difficulty, crew can now be hired from stations at zero cost and as if the player had maximum fame.
- Ion Beam Prisms will no longer redirect incoming ion beams when powered off. This fixes an exploit where it was possible to aim a prism and then power it off to reduce its command point usage.
- It is now possible to attack a ship that you are already following.
- It is no longer possible for the host to force start a Career mode game if not all players are ready.
- Added a warning when VSync is enabled while also using a Minimum Target F.P.S. of 60, which is known to cause performance issues.
- Clearing debris in Creative Mode will no longer remove jump gates.
- Added 15 new faction ships and stations.
- Added the winning ships from the Feb. 2023 ship design contest. These ships will not spawn in Career mode but are available to use in Creative mode.
- Miscellaneous updates to several dozen existing ships.
- Various updates to the existing language translations. (Thanks community translators!)
- Bugfix: Loading a ship design from the ship editor was not properly loading crew roles and assignments.
- Bugfix: AI ships were over-emphasizing the firepower of each potential target ship compared to its distance.
- Bugfix: AI ships were over-estimating the firepower of ships with ion prisms.
- Bugfix: The "ALL HANDS LOST" game over message would be displayed when the player's control room was destroyed even if they still had crew.
- Bugfix: Trying to upload some ship fleets to the Steam Workshop could result in an error if the ship file chosen for the preview image was too large.
- Bugfix: When a ship didn't have any parts, its mass would be shown as 1.0 tonnes.
- The title screen logo ship was missing a door. (Literally unplayable.)
February 11th 2023
Cosmoteer update 0.21.0 is now available! This is a small feature update that adds two varieties of aesthetic roof lights with configurable colors, plus a handful of bug fixes.
I am hard at work on performance optimizations and the upcoming "crew do construction" feature, but I wanted to get the above small update out in the meantime. Thanks for your ongoing patience!
Full patch notes:
- Added an "Exterior Light", a 1x1 part that brightens the roof around it with customizable color and size. Has no functional benefit.
- Added an "Exterior Headlight", a 1x1 part that brightens the roof in a specific direction with customizable color and size. Has no functional benefit.
- In blueprint mode when you have a ship design loaded that has parts whose blueprints haven't been purchased yet, the red text on the button will now say "MISSING PART BLUEPRINTS" instead of "MISSING BLUEPRINTS".
- Changed the default hotkey for deleting all doors to Shift+Del (from Ctrl+Del) so that it doesn't conflict with holding Ctrl to confirm deletion of parts that only give a partial refund.
- A.I. ships will now use any attack distance and rotation saved with their design when above 50% health.
- Added nine new built-in ships: Erponis, Eviscerator Reborn, Intrepid, Klepht, Scintillator, Yuhina, Daedalus, Goshawk, and Spectre.
- Miscellaneous updates to other existing built-in ships.
- Bugfix: Crash with error message "An item with the same key has already been added" that could occur in some circumstances when issuing a command after a ship splits into multiple pieces.
- Bugfix: Crash when right-click on a non-building part with the "grab" tool selected in build mode. (Currently only affects mods with non-buildable parts.)
- Bugfix: Some saved games could fail to load if they were saved while crew are salvaging ships.
- Bugfix: In some circumstances it was possible to lose all crew in Career mode without triggering an "ALL HANDS LOST" game over message.
- Bugfix: Some sprites (such as batteries in factories) were being rendered in the incorrect location when the room is flipped.
- Bugfix: Dragging a box to select ship parts was not selecting mining lasers along with other weapons.
- Modding: Added a 'UIColor' part component which allows the player to pick a color from a color wheel. It works very similarly to UIToggle and UITrigger.
- Modding: TurretWeapon and FixedWeapon no longer require an emitter. (Useful if the weapon doesn't actually shoot anything.)
January 19th 2023
- Bugfix: Random multiplayer desyncs caused by the ship's power/resource distribution A.I.
- Bugfix: Queuing a large number of junk parts for salvaging or floating resources for pick-up would cause the ship's crew to respond much more slowly to their own ship's needs. In particular, this could cause mining lasers to frequently run out of power when mining or salvaging large objects.
- Bugfix: Crashes with the error message "Unable to add character to the font atlas", most frequently occurring when using a high U.I. scale setting. (If you play with very high U.I. scaling then you might notice slightly fuzzy text due to this fix.)
- Bugfix: Rapidly toggling the galaxy map on and off would cause the player to get stuck viewing the galaxy map.
- Bugfix: Pirate bases could spawn very close to Hyper-Jump Gates, which would cause trade ships to refuse to jump out of the gate.
- Bugfix: Pressing Ctrl+A while using the selection tool in Creative Mode would not select all floating resources.
Added three new built-in ship designs that will spawn in Career mode: Iconoclast (Monolith 10), Haymaker (Monolith 12), and Orion (Cabal 18). A handful of other ship updates. Updated Tractor Beam VFX.
January 9th 2023
- Bugfix: Ships were often not awarding fame when destroyed.
January 1st 2023
- Bugfix: Unable to transfer crew between ships. (This was a bug in patch 0.20.34)
January 1st 2023
Happy new year!
- Added several 1x3 fade decals.
- H.E. Missiles, Nukes, and Explosive Charges now show their damage stat as "Max Damage" to make it clearer that the damage is a theoretical maximum and not guaranteed.
- The nuclear and biohazard decals are now properly centered.
- Bugfix: Exploit in multiplayer where it was possible to transfer crew to players to give them more crew than their fame was supposed to allow them to have.
- Bugfix: Exploit where crew inside ships during a hyper-jump didn't count against the player's maximum crew as determined by their fame.
- Bugfix: After deleting a sun in Creative Mode, and sun damage vfx on ships within the sun's damage zone would not disappear.
- Bugfix: On Civilian difficulty, flying crew belonging to the player's ships could still be killed.
- Bugfix: Area of effect weapons such as H.E. Missiles and Nukes were incapable of destroying ship parts on Admiral and Grand Admiral difficulties.
- Bugfix: Steam Cloud saves weren't working if the user's Saved Games folder was in a non-standard location. For new users, Cosmoteer will now ask the operating system for the location of the Saved Games folder instead of assuming it is located in the user's home folder. If there is already an existing Saved Games folder within the user's home folder, it will continue to be used, meaning that cloud saves will continue to not work if they were not yet working. If you are one of those users, you will need to temporarily move or rename the Cosmoteer folder inside of Saved Games, which will force the game to switch to the new location. Then move or copy over the contents to the new location.
December 28th 2022
- Bugfix: Freeze when clicking on the "Missions (Continued)" tutorial while the U.I. Scaling is at 175%.
December 22nd 2022
- Bugfix: Ion Prisms without explicit targets were having their output strength unintentionally scaled with combat difficulty in Career mode.
December 21st 2022
- Bugfix: In rare instances, it would become impossible to save the game after jumping to a new star system.
December 19th 2022
December 17th 2022
More bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements this week:
- Added 125%, 175%, 250%, and 300% U.I. scale options (in addition to the existing 100%, 150%, and 200% options). Note that scales above 200% may cause the U.I. to look a bit blurry.
- Added a "Restore Zoom When Exiting Editors" setting that, if disabled, will prevent the camera zoom level from being restored when exiting the Ship Editor, Paint Editor, Crew Management, or Resource Management screens.
- On Steam Deck, the virtual keyboard will no longer automatically appear when saving the game or changing a ship's name/info.
- Added a "Huge Crews" built-in mod which increases the maximum crew in Career mode to 100,000 regardless of fame.
- Miscellaneous updates to existing ships and stations.
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs caused by marking resources for collection or salvaging.
- Bugfix: Rare 'KeyNotFoundException' crashes during gameplay.
- Bugfix: Player ships could damage themselves (such as with spash damage from missiles) even when the combat difficulty was set to civilian.
December 9th 2022
I'm still working on performance optimizations, but in the meantime here are some bug fixes and other tweaks:
- Completely redesigned the "Beautiful In Name Only" Fringe trade ship.
- A handful of small updates to other built-in ships and stations.
- Bugfix: Rare "Attempting to set UncomittedActivationLevel to NaN" crashes during gameplay.
- Bugfix: Crashes with error message "The specified job was not registered with this ResourceManager".
- Bugfix: Pirate Hunter missions could sometimes fail when jumping away from their star system and then jumping back.
- Minor fixes to the French and Russian translations.
December 4th 2022
- Bugfix: In Domination mode, if a ship had more resources than storage designated for them, then the "Restock Resources" option could be used to get infinite money.
- Bugfix: Crash when double-clicking on a mission objective in the current star system while viewing the galaxy map.
- Bugfix: Weapons would continue to shoot at enemy crew even after their ship was defeated. (This was a bug with the previous patch.)
- Bugfix: Switching between ship editor modes (build/paint/resources/crew) would cause the view to zoom out. (This was a bug with the previous patch.)
- Bugfix: The text in the in-game chat text input box could become significantly offset when clicking on it.
- Bugfix: The text in popup text input dialogs was slightly offset.
December 2nd 2022
This update contains a handful of small quality-of-life improvements and fixes.
- Fixed exploit where you could get extract more resources from a junked ship by sending a crew to it (to take it over) and then deconstructing it in the ship editor than you could by sending crew to salvage it.
- When reaching maximum fame (10000), it became unintentionally possible to hire unlimited crew.
- Asteroids now have very high penetration resistance.
- Updated to a handful of built-in ships, including a new Monolith trade ship.
- Police ships will no longer spawn inside the sun's damage zone.
- Entering and then exiting any of the ship editor interfaces will now remember and restore the camera zoom.
- When setting up resource supply links, the designated resource types for storage room tiles will now still be shown.
- When transferring crew and resources, the list of ships in the right column will now only include those ships within range of the ship selected for the left column, and they will be sorted based on their distance to it.
- Hybrid 1x2 and 1x3 structure/armor blocks will now be replaced with 1x1 structure tiles when overwritten in the ship editor.
- Clarified the Tractor Beam's description to make it clear that it only works on large objects. (Adding a small resource collection beam is high on my priority list.)
- Renamed the "Weight" stat to "Mass" in part statistics.
- In Creative mode, Barbarian ships are now called "Pirate".
- Fixes and updates to all translations.
- Fixed some issues with hotkey names in the Controls settings.
- Shift+Insert can now be used to paste text from the clipboard.
- Bugfix: Missiles could sometimes start colliding with their own ship immediately after being launched after playing for a very long time.
- Bugfix: Abandoning a ship with in-progress resource trades wouldn't cancel the trades, which would still be delivered but at no cost to the player.
- Bugfix: Broken text when plotting an in-system FTL jump with multiple ships selected and one or more ships have certain characters such as '&' in their names.
November 24th 2022
- Change: Increased the maximum number of crew roles that a ship can have from 20 to 50.
- Bugfix: Crashes during gameplay with error message "The specified job does not belong to the ship".
- Bugfix: Crew that become stranded far away from any of your ships would not run out of O2 or count against the fame crew limit. When returning to these crew, they could potentially rejoin your ship(s) and again count towards your crew limit, putting you over the crew limit.
- Bugfix: Opening the galaxy map while in blueprint mode before any of the blueprints have been constructed would show the "Are you sure you wish to close the build interface?" message but close it anyway even if cancel was clicked.
November 23rd 2022
- Change: Increased Sensor Array battery capacity from 4 to 8.
- Optimisation: Significantly improved performance of flying crew, especially when they are off-screen.
- Optimisation: Improved performance when a lot of resource transfers, trades, or pickups are scheduled.
- Optimisation: Massively improved performance in the ship editor when there are huge numbers of floating resources.
- Improvement: Updated the Boost Thruster description to make it clear that power can't be delivered to it while boosting.
- Bugfix: Long pauses when flying or jumping away from large quantities of floating resources.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for some desyncs when salvaging, trading, and transferring resources.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for the "Save Game" button being permanently disabled.
- Bugfix: Certain mods could prevent ships from appearing in the Ship Library.
- Change: Lowered the default Max Send Rate from 10000 to 1000, which may solve some connection issues for some players. (This only affects new players.)
November 17th 2022
This patch makes some performance optimizations that may significantly improve mid/late-game performance, especially in multiplayer. More performance optimizations are still coming and are currently my top priority.
- Optimisation: Significantly improved performance when there are a lot of floating resources.
- Optimisation: Additional performance improvements when there are a lot of floating resources in multiplayer.
- Optimisation: Improved performance while crew are trading with space stations.
- Optimisation: Improved rendering performance of flying crew when zoomed out.
- Bugfix: Freeze in some circumstances when dragging a collection box around floating resources while multiple ships are selected.
- Bugfix: Trying to load a saved game while playing "multiplayer" with only one player would show a message that says "Waiting for 0 votes" and not actually load the saved game.
- Bugfix: Garbled text when viewing stats for the Mine Factory while using the Spanish translation.
- Improvement: Fixed a handful of issues with the French and Simplified Chinese translations.
- Improvement: Minor tweaks to the German translation.
November 14th 2022
- Bugfix: Possible fix for multiplayer desyncs when jumping within a star system.
- Bugfix: The Medium and Large Imperium Trade Stations did not have the appropriate amount of resources stocked.
- Bugfix: Crash and text display issues when Windows is configured to use some unusual characters as decimal points.
November 12th 2022
- Change: Reduced ion beam range from 450 to 300. (For clarity, the damage that the ion beam does at any particular range is unchanged.)
- Addition: Added 1x3 wedge decals.
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs caused when a ship is instructed to salvage or mine a part just before another ship finishes salvaging or mining the same part.
- Change: When playing using Proton or WINE, multicore optimizations will now be automatically disabled to prevent freezes. (Equivalent to the '--cores 1' launch argument.) To restore multicore optimizations, use the '--cores 0' launch argument. (But if you do this you will likely get occasional random game freezes.)
November 11th 2022
- Addition: When playing a multiplayer Career or Creative mode game, the host can now load a saved game without returning to the pre-game setup screen. Upon selecting a saved game to load, all players will be asked to vote on whether to load the saved game, and if the vote is unanimous, the game will be loaded. (This feature is somewhat experimental. Use with caution and please report any bugs or crashes caused by it.)
- Change: Slightly increased resource costs for the new armor+structure hybrid pieces.
- Improvement: Pressing a ship's F1-F8 key while its parts are selected will now unselect the parts and select the ship.
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs sometimes caused by trade ships jumping in via hyperjump gates.
- Bugfix: Weapon projectiles and beams were being rendered beneath the structure of the new armor+structure triangle piece.
November 10th 2022
- Addition: Added new aesthetic armor and structure pieces, including 1x3 wedge armor and structure, triangle structure, and armor+structure hybrid wedges.
- Change: Fixed the Spanish translation incorrectly translating "HAIL" as "GRANIZO". (Now translates as "SALUDAR".)
- Bugfix: Deleting destroyed command rooms could erroneously trigger the "INSUFFICIENT COMMAND POINTS" message.
- Bugfix: Crash in some circumstances soon after resuming from a multiplayer desync.
November 8th 2022
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs caused by repeatedly right-clicking on floating resources to collect them.
November 8th 2022
- Addition: Six new built-in faction ships: Atlas, Maia, Merope, Odysseus, Rufescent, and Rochre.
- Change: Fixes and tweaks to 22 other built-in ships.
- Change: The "contiguous selection mode" (Ctrl) of the select tool will now only select parts/decals of the same type.
- Change: The name of the current online lobby will now be displayed at the top of the pre-game setup screen.
- Bugfix: If a bounty target is destroyed before its bounty area is discovered, that would leave the final exploration mission uncompletable. This fix should work retroactively for existing saves. (If you travel to a star system and the exploration mission is still uncompletable, try saving and reloading.)
- Bugfix: Crash in multiplayer Creative mode if switching to a different star system while there is an in-progress explosion.
- Bugfix: Crash when subscribing to a collection of ship packs in the Steam Workshop when one or more of the individual packs is already subscribed.
- Bugfix: The crew and resource transfer windows didn't have the usual "glass" background effect.
November 7th 2022
- Bugfix: Random desyncs during multiplayer Career games caused by trade ships either jumping in or spawning near the player.
November 6th 2022
- Bugfix: Error loading or crashes during some saved games that were saved while using certain mods that increased floating resource capacities but are now deactivated, uninstalled, or modified to reduce resource capacities.
November 4th 2022
- Addition: It is now possible to build new ships from scratch in Career mode by clicking the new "Build New Ship" button to the right of the mission log button.
- Addition: You can now choose the location of the build grid when creating a new ship from scratch in Creative Mode.
- Change: Translation updates for Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.
- Improvement: The crew transfer window will no longer automatically close when starting a transfer.
- Improvement: If there is an error submitting in-game feedback, the text in the feedback window will now be remembered the next time it is opened.
- Improvement: Re-sorted the list of multiplayer game modes so that Career and Creative modes are at the top of the list.
- Change: It is no longer possible to drag the Doodads window off the screen.
- Change: Reduced the volume of the radar ping and enemy alert sounds by half.
- Change: Master audio volume for new players now defaults to 50%.
- Bugfix: The large gold asteroid doodad was incorrectly labeled as a sulfur asteroid.
November 4th 2022
- Bugfix: Stuck sending/recieving when trying to load very large saved game files in multiplayer.
November 3rd 2022
- Addition: Added a "Max Send Rate" setting to the Miscellaneous settings. This will limit the maximum amount of data that Cosmoteer can send every second, measured in kilobytes per second. The default is 10000 (10 MBps).
- Bugfix:' Multiplayer games with more than two players could experience disconnects when loading or resyncing large game files.
- Bugfix: Rare "Audio groups not yet initialized" crash when starting Cosmoteer.
- Bugfix: Freeze in very specific circumstances when a formation of ships approaches a point of interest or custom marker.
- Bugfix: The "When Enemy Spotted" setting was being hidden when the "Show Blips For Off-Screen Ships" setting was disabled.
November 1st 2022
This updates makes significant performance improvements to flying crew and floating resources. I hope it will significantly improve mid/late-game performance. More optimizations are still coming.
- Optimisation: Massively improved rendering and simulation performance of floating resource nuggets.
- Optimisation: Massively improved simulation performance of crew that don't have a "home" ship to which they belong.
- Optimisation: Modest simulation performance increase to flying crew even if they do have a home ship.
- Optimisation: Small performance improvement in most situations related to crew jobs.
- Reversion: Restored the "Minimum Target F.P.S." option, but using the old algorithm which wasn't causing any problems.
- Improvement: The virtual on-screen keyboard will now only be shown when running on Steam Deck instead of whenever Big Picture Mode is being used.
- Bugfix: Cosmoteer would sometimes load mods in a different order, which could cause multiplayer incompatibility. Mods will now always be loaded in alphabetical order as determined by their ID.
October 31st 2022
- Removal: Removed the "Minimum Target F.P.S." feature because it was causing game speed to fluctuate unintentionally.
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue that could cause framerate to "death spiral" when the game was unable run as fast as the desired game speed.
October 31st 2022
- Improvement: The "Minimum Target F.P.S" setting (previously just called "Target F.P.S.") should now do a better job of slowing down the game simulation to improve the framerate.
- Improvement: When specifying an angle of attack, the angle will now by default be relative to the enemy ship's rotation. This can be changed in the settings or by holding the Alt key.
- Bugfix: Multiplayer desyncs while traveling to a new star system.
- Bugfix: Desync in multiplayer when a ship touches a sun.
- Bugfix: Crash if a Domination mode game desyncs.
- Bugfix: Rare crash on some computers whose file systems don't support certain non-English characters such as 'ü'.
October 29th 2022
- 'Bugfix:' Multiplayer desyncs caused by initiating resource transfers, trades, or pickups.
October 28th 2022
- Bugfix: Desyncs in multiplayer when jumping to another star system and at least one player has the "Auto-Save Before Hyper-Jump" setting turned on.
- Bugfix: Possible fix for disconnects that happen after desyncing in multiplayer.
- Bugfix: Crash when connecting to a multiplayer game using the "Connect to IP" feature while the Online tab is selected.
October 27th 2022
- Change: Hopefully improved multiplayer connection reliability, especially when loading saved games or recovering from desyncs.
- Addition: Added an "Enable Desync Debugging" option to the Misc settings. If enabled, .rec files for multiplayer games will be generated with extra information that will help the developer debug desyncs, but performance will be somewhat reduced. If you are getting desyncs while playing multiplayer, please turn this option on and then, if you get a desync, send the latest .rec file from Cosmoteer's Logs folder to the developer.
October 26th 2022
- Bugfix: Crash with some save files when jumping to another star system.
- Bugfix: Crash in some circumstances if the player was using a mod that allowed doors to be placed in otherwise-illegal locations and then deactivating the mod.
- Bugfix: Crash in PvP multiplayer if a player sends a team-only chat message and you are an observer.
- Bugfix: Crash in multiplayer if two ships are simultaneously told to follow each other at a specific position.
- Bugfix: Crash if additional built-in formations are added using mods when hovering the mouse cursor over them.
- Bugfix: Rare crash when backing out of the multiplayer screen.
- Bugfix: It was impossible to hail certain stations with insufficient crew.
- Addition: Added an error message on the title screen if for some reason Cosmoteer is unable to connect to the Steam client.
October 25th 2022
- Bugfix: Errors loading saved game thumbnails will no longer crash Cosmoteer.
- Bugfix: Erroneous "Thanks for pirating" message on some computers.
October 24th 2022
- Bugfix: Rare crash while crew are putting out fires.
- Bugfix: When playing Career mode co-op with multiple people controlling the same "shared player", mission credit rewards would be reduced as if each person was controlling their own player.
- Bugfix: The scoreboard and match results for multiplayer Domination games had corrupted text when multiple players were on the same team.
October 24th 2022
- Bugfix: Rare "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error loading some saved games. Those saved games should now load fine.
Cosmoteer (Classic) Updates
- 0.15.18 Forum Post Final update of Classic.
- 0.15.17/0.15.17a/0.15.17b Forum Post Cosmoteer now uses Microsoft .NET 6
- 0.15.16/0.15.16a/0.15.16b Forum Post Breaks BH mod
- 0.15.15 Forum Post
- 0.15.14/0.15.14a Forum Post Breaks mod; different tractor stats format
- 0.15.13/0.15.13a Forum Post Breaks mod; different tractor stats format & AIValue ID
- 0.15.12/0.15.12a/0.15.12b Forum Post Breaks mod weapons control for hold fire
- 0.15.11/0.15.11a Forum Post Breaks mods using missiles, tractor beam, mine features
- 0.15.10/0.15.10a Forum Post
- 0.15.9 Forum Post Breaks mods using rotate button, prism_link targetor,...
- 0.15.8/0.15.8a/0.15.8b Forum Post Breaks mods using ion beam resources; factory buffs are now unified
- 0.15.7/0.15.7a Forum Post Breaks mods
- 0.15.6/0.15.6a Forum Post Breaks mods with multi-ammo choices/blueprints!
- 0.15.5/0.15.5a/0.15.5b/0.15.5c/0.15.5d Forum Post
- 0.15.4/0.15.4b/0.15.4c Forum Post Switch to Net Core. incompatible settings.txt
- 0.15.3 Forum Post Breaks mods! revamped storage system; reactor explosion effects renamed
- 0.15.2 Forum Post
- 0.15.1/0.15.1a Forum Post Breaks mods (minor)! (incompatible to previous), hotfix
- 0.15.0/0.15.0a Forum Post Breaks mods! incompatible save files!, hotfix
- 0.15.0 Preview 2 Forum Post
- 0.15.0 Preview 1 Forum Post
- 0.14.15 Forum Post
- 0.14.14/0.14.14b/0.14.14c Forum Post, hotfixes
- 0.14.13 Forum Post
- 0.14.12 Forum Post Breaks mods (minor)! (partially revert filter block)
- 0.14.11 Forum Post direct control button setup conflict could crash mods using same keys
- 0.14.10 Forum Post Breaks mods! (filter block)
- 0.14.9 Forum Post
- 0.14.8 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.14.7/0.14.7a/0.14.7b Forum Post Breaks mods!, hotfixes
- 0.14.6 Forum Post
- 0.14.5 Forum Post Breaks mods (part IDString to ID)! Added Nukes, E.M.P.s, Mines and Flak.
- 0.14.4 Forum Post Breaks mods! Arena Mode added to multiplayer.
- 0.14.3 Forum Post
- 0.14.2 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.14.1 Forum Post
- 0.14.0 Forum Post Breaks mods! (new IDString format) Incompatible save files(!), new thruster sprites.
- 0.13.9 Forum Post
- 0.13.8 Forum Post
- 0.13.7 Forum Post
- 0.13.6 Forum Post
- 0.13.5 Forum Post
- 0.13.4 Forum Post
- 0.13.3 Forum Post
- 0.13.2 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.13.1 Forum Post
- 0.13.0 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.12.12 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.12.11 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.12.10 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.12.9 Forum Post
- 0.12.8 Forum Post (Breaks mods!)
- 0.12.7 Forum Post (Breaks mods!)
- 0.12.6 Forum Post
- 0.12.5 Forum Post
- 0.12.4 Forum Post
- 0.12.3 Forum Post
- 0.12.2 Forum Post
- 0.12.1 Forum Post
- 0.12.0 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.11.11 Forum Post
- 0.11.10 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.11.9 Forum Post
- 0.11.8 Forum Post
- 0.11.7 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.11.6 Forum Post (Breaks mods!)
- 0.11.5 Forum Post
- 0.11.4 Forum Post
- 0.11.3 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.11.2 Forum Post
- 0.11.1 Forum Post
- 0.11.0 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.10.7 Forum Post
- 0.10.6 Forum Post
- 0.10.5 Forum Post
- 0.10.4 Forum Post
- 0.10.3 Forum Post
- 0.10.2 Forum Post
- 0.10.1 Forum Post
- 0.10.0 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.9.17 Forum Post
- 0.9.16 Forum Post
- 0.9.15 Forum Post
- 0.9.14 Forum Post Breaks mods!
- 0.9.13 Forum Post
- 0.9.12 Forum Post
- 0.9.11 Forum Post
- 0.9.10 Forum Post
- 0.9.9 Forum Post
- 0.9.8 Forum Post
- 0.9.7 Forum Post
- 0.9.6 Forum Post
- 0.9.5 Forum Post
- 0.9.4 Forum Post
- 0.9.3 Forum Post
- 0.9.0 Blog Post